1 July, 2016Print
Maxwell's 'blackSUMMERS'night' The Album Of The Summer Is Out Today (July 1)
Good Morning America, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Tavis Smiley, Essence Festival, a TV special & the best reviews of the year coincide with the soul icon's triumphant return
#1 Single at Billboard radio chart for 4th Week in a row
(New York, NY): Soul star Maxwell is back with ‘blackSUMMERS’night,’ out today, July 1, on Columbia Records.
The second installment of the Grammy-winning and critically acclaimed musical trilogy is shaping up to be the best-reviewed album of the year and comes during a week of intense activity.
Rolling Stone's 4 star review: "pure pleasure" and "Think of Maxwell as R&B's Thom Yorke."
Entertainment Weekly gave it an "A-": "never has he matched his amorous entreaties to sounds as broad and fresh as these."
It’s Stereogum’s Album Of The Week: “Maxwell albums are like comets: They don’t appear often, but when they do, they have a way of reminding you how small you are in the vast scheme of the universe….dazzling, dazzled globs of beauty”
USA Today loves his singing: "grainy and sultry in his middle and lower registers, reaching for delirious depths, but floating to a breathy, fluttery falsetto"
Boston Globe says “stunning”
The new album comes during a period that sees new highs for Maxwell, even for an artist with a 20-year career that has encompassed many big moments:
· Last Sunday, Maxwell’s performances of “Lake By The Ocean” and Prince’s “Nothing Compares 2 U” at the 2016 BET Awards were widely considered one of the night's big wins.
· Last night, Maxwell performed “Lake By The Ocean” on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
· Today, Maxwell will appear on Tavis Smiley and will headline the Essence Festival tonight in New Orleans.
· Maxwell will appear on All Things Considered on Tuesday, July 5.
· Maxwell will perform live on Good Morning America Thursday, July 7.
· “The Last Days Of Summers,” a behind-the-scenes look at the making of ‘blackSUMMERS’night,’ airs tonight on BET Soul and tomorrow on Centric, both at 9 pm EST.
“Lake By The Ocean,” which many are hailing as Maxwell’s best song to date, is on its fourth week at No. 1 on Billboard’s Adult R&B chart. Entertainment Weekly called it one of 2016’s best songs and “the sexiest slow jam of the year so far…pure chilled-out perfection.”
Watch Philip Andelman’s cinematic video for “Lake By The Ocean,” a meditation on the issue of water security around the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsSu0bRZEHM
‘blackSUMMERS’night’ is classic Maxwell, with sensual production showcasing the soul singer’s signature voice that has redefined soul music since the icon’s classic 1996 debut, ‘Maxwell’s Urban Hang Suite.’ ‘blackSUMMERS’night’ is his fifth studio album and the follow up to 2009’s platinum-selling ‘BLACKsummers’night,’ which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and won two Grammys, including Best R&B Album.
Maxwell on the web: