8 April, 2019Print
Morrissey Rings In With “Wedding Bell Blues”, First Radio Single Off ‘California Son’ LPWith Guests Billie Joe Armstrong & Lydia Night, Track Out Today
Today, Morrissey has released his rendition of The 5th Dimension’s hit “Wedding Bell Blues,” which will serve as the first radio single off his forthcoming 60s/70s covers album, ‘California Son’ (out May 24th via Étienne Records/BMG).
A loyal cover of the floaty mini suite of bells, piano, and guitar, the track is bolstered by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day and Lydia Night of The Regrettes on backing vocals. Morrissey’s legendary baritone takes center stage, injecting the classic ode to frustrated love with a modern, polished euphoria that subtly nods at queer desire.
Morrissey is set to play a seven-date Broadway run at New York City’s Lunt-Fontanne Theater from May 2nd to May 11th. The shows, which sold out within an hour of being on sale, will prove a treat for longtime Moz fans, spanning his career from his early Smithsdays to the present 'California Son' era.
‘CALIFORNIA SON’ TRACK LISTING
1. Morning Starship (Jobriath) with Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear
2. Don’t Interrupt The Sorrow (Joni Mitchell)
3. Only a Pawn In Their Game (Bob Dylan) with Petra Haden
4. Suffer the Little Children (Buffy St Marie)
5. Days of Decision (Phil Ochs) with Sameer Gadhia of Young The Giant
6. It’s Over (Roy Orbison) with LP
7. Wedding Bell Blues (The 5th Dimension) with Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day & Lydia Night of The Regrettes
8. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets (Dionne Warwick)
9. Lady Willpower (Gary Puckett)
10. When You Close Your Eyes (Carly Simon) with Petra Haden
11. Lenny’s Tune (Tim Hardin)
12. Some Say I Got Devil (Melanie)