2 April, 2019Print
Soulection Celebrates Eight Years, Radio Hits Milestone with 400 ShowsLongest Running Beats 1 Specialty Show with the Most Episodes
(New York, NY): "We're gonna try to make Soulection an official genre," says Joe Kay, co-founder of LA-native music incubator. "Like hip hop, alt-rock, country... soulection?"
Soulection, the independent music platform, label, radio show and niche collective of DJ’s and producers, recently celebrated their 8th anniversary and are now looking to the future.
This past weekend, Soulection Radio, the Soundcloud sensation turned Apple Music's Beats 1 radio show, hit a huge milestone with 400 episodes, making it Apple Music's Beats 1's longest-running specialty show. Joe Kay played a sold-out show to over a thousand fans for the live recording of episode 400 in Los Angeles, which featured special guests TDE's SiR, Kyle Dion, Jared Jackson and Joyce Wrice.
Read more via CLASH: https://www.clashmusic.com/features/backstage-with-joe-kay-at-soulection-show-400
Listen to episode 400 on and tune into Soulection Radio weekly: http://apple.co/Soulection; Saturdays | 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT
Soulection offers up "future" beats and relishes in "find[ing] artists before they're even known...to really build them up from a grassroots perspective." A clean hip-hop aesthetic with soulful jazz elements, their sound is very much their own movement pairing "warm and timeless soul with sounds that are unmistakably millennial" (i-D).
Other highlights include:
• It would take 1 month, 1 week, 2 hours, 59 minutes, 23 seconds to listen to every Soulection Radio Show continuously. Here’s an additional, impressive array of stats: https://soulectiontracklists.com/stats/
• Soulection Radio boasts over 200 million streams & 2 million downloads and has hosted interviews with Mac Miller, Anderson .Paak, GoldLink, Toro Y Moi and live performances by Daniel Caesar, Tom Misch, Snoh Aalegra and SiR. Watch: https://www.youtube.com/user/Soulection/featured
• This year, Soulection will perform at Coachella (the first “collective” to be billed as an act on the line-up), Lightning in a Bottle, Afropunk NYC and Sol Blume. Tour dates here: https://soulection.com/events
• Soulection harnesses the power of its expansive network by creating live events and tours under the moniker 'The Sound of Tomorrow' (TSOT) with shows and DJ sets in over 10 countries including Amsterdam, London, Paris, Tokyo, Manila, Sydney, Cape Town, Proto, Edmonton, Brussels, Kuala Lumpur, Bangalore. Soulection live-streamed a 24-hour broadcast on New Year’s Day in 2018 and 2019 called “Soulection All Day,” capturing “a whole other world of sound” for their listeners & attendees.
• A part of their touring arm, Soulection Experience, took place at LA’s Shrine Auditorium earlier this year with special performances by Ella Mai, Goldlink Saba, and Joe Kay and Andre Power, co-founders of Soulection.
• Soulection Records released Nigerian sensation Tay Iwar’s debut album ‘Gemini’ on March 29th with additional releases to follow this year. Listen here: http://soulection.com/gemini
By consistently bringing visibility to meaningful music and curating memorable experiences, Soulection has broadcast its vision and created a culture that brings together hundreds of thousands of supporters worldwide.
In January of 2011, the first episode of Soulection Radio aired one hour outside of Los Angeles on Long Beach college radio station, KBEACH. 175 shows later, Soulection made the progression to London-based Rinse.fm to expand the brand further worldwide lead by Soulection’s Head A&R, Co-Founder and radio show host/creator Joe Kay. Shortly after, Red Bull Studios LA opened up their doors to help us take Soulection Radio and their creative collaborations to the next level.
July 4, 2015 marked the first day of Soulection Radio broadcasting to over 100 countries on Beats1 via Apple Music.
For more information contact Nina Lee at Shore Fire Media, (718) 522-7171